Thursday, September 10, 2009

The library and the dads

Yesterday Aidan and I set off a little late to the Toddler Time Storytime at Monona Library (I know Aidan's not a toddler yet but the nice librarian at the library noticed I had an out of town accent and took pity on me when I asked if there were any sessions for a baby Aidan's age, which there aren't).

We were late because he took a little longer than usual over his nap and the toddlers were coming to the end of their book, 1-2 Buckle My Shoe. They then learned the chicken dance (Black Lace fans will know this as the birdie song). It was then on to counting up to four with bottles and cups. Then it finished. Both Aidan and I looked at each other in amazement that it was on for 20 only minutes, 10 of which we'd missed.

On our way out, we did chat with a few other parents and got some tips on gyms in the area that have rooms for open drop in centres for children, especially during the Winter. So all wasn't lost but I was expecting it to last a bit longer, not quite enough to get through a Salman Rushdie but a couple of chapters of Meg and Mog at least.

Today's visit was much better. I met up with some dads at Mad City Dad's group. When I turned up there was only one other dad there rocking an 8 week old and watching his 2 year old run around. He started telling me about the group when another bloke turned up with his 18 month old daughter. We got into what I was doing in Wisconsin when in came another new guy with his 10 month old son.

The session was supposed to be for an hour but we nearly made it two chatting about our kids, the experience of it all, what to do with them in Madison, parks to go to, jobs that are being applied for, other mutual friends and what sports we're into. Two of them started talking about a sport, soccer, which I think I can get into. It sounds an awful lot like football.

In the mix of the dads talking the kids played with each other, snatched things, and didn't quite learn the art of sharing. The highlight was near the end when we had to stop chatting as one of the little ones started arh-ing to a beat, which the others then joined in. When one chatted they all wanted to answer.

No comments: