Sunday, August 30, 2009

Daddy daycare - Day 1

Last Tuesday marked the start of daddy daycare.

Since arriving in Madison Erin and I took on our weekend agenda and generally shared the tasks of being Aidan's feeders, entertainers and sleep aids. But Erin's volunteering for 3 days a week at a Mental Health Center in Madison in the hope of future work so I'm taking care of him on my own while she does this.

Thankfully she had the day off on Monday but on Tuesday daddy was flying solo with a tough passenger.

I had the schedule written out and carried it wherever I was.

6:30 - Breakfast
9- 10 - Sleep
10:30 -11 - Feed
12-1 - Sleep
2-2:30 - Feed
4 - Sleep
5 - Feed
6:15-6:30 - Bath
7 - Sleep

I followed this religiously. Or tried to. It actually faltered right at the beginning at it first sleep. He wouldn't go down for love nor money. There's nothing more exhausting than trying to get baby to sleep. After half an hour or so and many promises to him which I'd never keep I hit the road.

In England the car didn't seem to put him to sleep but he's got more used to it over here. After around 5 minutes he was nodding. I felt like I'd cheated but was much more calm now his eyes had closed.

The next sleep was more or less the same. This time wasn't just exhausting but frustration was taking over. In the end I lay him down with me like we used to do in the beginning and he slowly drifted away.

Both times, while he was supposed to be sleeping, I was meant to be getting on with other things. As I was with him, I couldn't get his food prepared, wash up from the last meal or waste time on the internet. It was about 12:45 when I wanted to throw the towel in and go back to work.

For his late afternoon sleep he let me off and went down easy. I was still stressed though when Erin came back as I was worrying about the following day and days to come.

No comments: