Saturday, May 9, 2009

The needle

'Are you ready for this?' Erin said. 'He might not calm down for twenty minutes or so.'

My heart leapt a little but I smiled and nodded and took Aidan off for the last of his first batch of injections.

The nurse talked me through what Aidan would be having, which I can't tell you what it was.  Couldn't have told you straight after she told me either because all I was thinking about was that the little cheeky chappy in the buggy next to me was going to be a screaming mess of gore when she'd done with him and it was for me to pick up the pieces.

She told me that he'd have two injections in one leg and one in the other.  

The first went in.  There was a pause before Aidan's face screwed up, turned purple and let out an almighty roaring scream.  I quickly turned him round for the next one with the nurse nodding to say yes, let's get on with it.  His screaming didn't get worse.  It couldn't.  

Then I turned him round for the last one, only to be told he needed it the same leg as the second.  I'm sure this didn't help and by the end Aidan had three bloody spots on his legs and a dad with three bloody spots on his best shirt.  He still wasn't pleased.  But his crying subsided when the nurse got out a toy which made lots of noise.  

He wasn't crying for twenty minutes. It was more like twenty seconds. But it's only now, three days later, when I've just about got over the whole business.


No comments: